Are you staying at one of our residences in Utrecht and is your basic rent is below €752.33? Then you will need to apply for a housing permit (huisvestingsvergunning) in Utrecht.
A housing permit is needed to be eligible to rent in Utrecht, because the demand for housing is much higher than the offer. This is how the municipality prevents housing fraud. A registration fee might apply. You need to pay this amount directly to the municipality - this fee is not included in your all-in rent of your residence. In order to receive the permit, you need to meet the following conditions:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You have the Dutch nationality, a valid passport of the EU / EEA (European Economic Area) or a valid residence permit
- Your income is not higher than €40,024 gross a year for apartments with a basic rent till €678.66
- Your income is not higher than €51,198 gross a year for apartments with a basic rent between €678.66 and €752.33
- If your (collective) annual gross income is exceeding €51,198, you can only rent a residence with a basic rent higher than €752.33